Getting to know yourself to improve your self-esteem
Here’s a little exercise you can do to get to know yourself better. 😊
On a piece of paper, write down:
- 3 things that make you unique and special 🙆🏾
- 3 things you’re good at 👍
- 3 things you like
- 3 things you like doing 🏂 🎧 🚴 🎹 ⚽ 🎬 💄 📷
- 3 things you like about your family 👨👩👧👦
- 3 things you like about your friends 💛
- 3 dreams and/or aspirations for the future 💭
Sometimes we think we know ourselves well, but doing an exercise like that helps us realize how difficult it is to see ourselves clearly. Some aspects of our personality are clearly defined and others less so.
In addition, we often learn to know ourselves through other people’s eyes, which is why it can be interesting to ask the people we know how they see us.
Finally, it’s perfectly normal not to know yourself well and to have lots of questions about yourself in adolescence. This is a real period of change and one of the things you’re doing is trying to define yourself as a person. So you need to give yourself some time...
The better you know yourself, the more solid your self-esteem will be.
Knowing yourself will allow you to:
- better choose your friends, lovers, and teammates
- respect different opinions
- not feel under attack too easily or keep doubting yourself
- express your feelings, needs, and wishes more easily
- make choices that respect your values and take ownership of them
- stand up for yourself and take your place in the world
You might have a ton of questions about yourself, and that’s normal. But learning to know yourself over time will allow you to develop your self-esteem. Don’t let that discouraging little voice in your head get the upper hand. Always remember what you’ve learned about yourself in the most difficult situations: your qualities, your strengths, your limitations, your preferences, and your aspirations.